Friday, June 14, 2013

Worth the Splurge: Passions That Make You Better

Simply put, passions enrich your life. If an activity requires you to dedicate time and resources, to learn discipline, or to grow your mind or body, you are the better for it. Whether it's art, yoga, reading, cooking, baking - what have you - these things are worth an investment. 

Running has been a serious addiction passion of mine since I was a kid. I love the release it brings, and a day doesn't really feel complete until my running shoes hit the road. 




I ran my first road race in 2009, a half marathon. Since then I've done several more, and this past November I finished the Nashville Country Music Marathon. 26.2 has been a life goal of mine as long as I can remember. I have to say - it was a blast, and I'll be doing it again. 

Note: Running is my passion. Not exercise in general. People always tell me how lucky I am that I "like exercise." This is not true. I detest almost all other forms of exercise. The elliptical? I think its harder than running, and really boring. Weights? I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I'd probably pull something. No, I hate the gym just as much as everybody else. 

Running? Its expensive. A good pair of running shoes is about $150, and good running clothes are also pricey. Registering for a race, generally about 100. Then, if the race isn't in your hometown, you have to fly to the destination and stay at hotel. It probably runs upwards of 1,000 a year. Worth it? Yep. 



Yes Ryan, anything you say. ( If you are a girl, and you run, and you are human like Ryan check out hey runner girl)  

It can be painful to part with $150 for running shoes every few months when I know that could buy a great dress at Anthro. But it's a sacrifice I'll keep making. Running helps me empty my thoughts, work out my issues, and it puts me in a great mood.  In short, it keeps me sane. Running a marathon gave me a new respect for my body, for what it could do, for how hard I could push myself mentally. 

Although, the day after I felt like this: 


But still. Worth it. 

Whatever that passion that improves your life, that helps you stretch yourself and your talents - It's worth the splurge. What is yours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment