Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Foodie Detox: Impromptu Strawberry Quinoa Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I've been ogling these lettuce wraps on Pinterest for over a month. They look so fresh and healthy. I wanted them today, but realized I was missing half the ingredients (namely the apples/ grapes/ almond butter/ romaine lettuce - so all the ingredients). 



Normally when this happens, I skip over to the market and pick up everything I need for whatever recipe is tickling my fancy. This would be okay if I used the rest of the ingredients before they went bad, but oftentimes I simply find another recipe I want to make while good food goes bad in my refrigerator. This time I decided to be more economical. I didn't have apples or grapes, but I did have strawberries. I also had quinoa and iceberg lettuce. Thus my variation on this was born: 

Impromptu Strawberry Quinoa Chicken Lettuce Wraps: 

1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup (or more) sliced strawberries
1/2 cup quinoa (cold) 
2 or 3 ounces chopped chicken 
apple cider vinaigrette (you can use whatever dressing floats your boat) 
salt/ pepper to taste 
Lettuce leaves for wraps 




Step 1: chop up some strawberries and cucumbers, throw them into a bowl with about 1/2 cup of quinoa. 




If you don't know how to cook quinoa, here are convenient instructions on whipping it up in a rice cooker. I like to cook a big batch and then refrigerate it to use as needed. 

2. cook up a chicken tenderloin or breast (you really only need a couple ounces) and throw it, chopped, into the bowl. Mix with salad dressing. I used apple cider vinaigrette, but you could use any dressing you like.  Salt/ pepper to taste. 


3. Put onto lettuce. 


4. Roll up. Eat. 

These were, honestly, pretty damn good, and really easy/quick. Make 'em. You don't need the exact ingredients -use what you have in your fridge. That's the point! If you're a herbivore, I think it would also taste great sans chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment