Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Foodie Detox: Farmer's Markets

I've been traveling every weekend for the last month. It's been a great time visiting with friends and celebrating new marriages, but I'm so relieved to be able to just stay home this weekend. I'll be spending most of the time studying for the bar, but I'm also going to take some time to relax, maybe catch a Nat's game, and (the activity I'm most excited about) head to the farmer's market. 


Farmer's markets are a veritable paradise of fresh food, flowers, specialty goods, and meats. You get quality produce, and you know you're investing in local business. Added to this, you'll oftentimes spend less than at the grocery store. 


Eastern Market is one of my favorite places to spend a weekend morning/afternoon. Its also a great place to grab brunch (although economical me suggests making brunch with your farmer's market treasures). If you are planning to grill, it's a great place to pick up chicken (so good and astonishingly inexpensive). You'll also find less common fare -  if you're feeling adventurous, try cooking something new! 

Yes, that IS a pufferfish in the middle. I'm not brave enough to try and cook him - but maybe you are! 


FRESHFARM markets are all over the city, and generally run from 8:30 to 1:00. Make sure to check the schedule, because they are only open on Saturday or Sunday. 


Farmer's markets are a great way to support your local community, local farmers (and a good motivator to get out of bed before 10:00 on a Saturday morning) - find the one in your hometown!

1 comment:

  1. You reminded me how much I love these. Will be scoping out one in my new Chicago neighborhood this weekend!

    ReplyDelete