Monday, August 5, 2013

Foodie Detox: Heirloom Tomato Pizza


The bar exam took a serious toll on my eating habits. There was one day when I ate the following: french toast, cheese and crackers, a mix of smores goldfish and sourpatch kids, and movie theater popcorn. I felt pretty disgusting after subsisting on junk food for two months (although clearly I relished the excuse to eat like a second grader).  

I told myself that after the bar I'd change some of my eating habits. I blog a lot about spending less money on clothing and shopping consumption, but I don't always consider the eating habits we engage in as a culture. I don't want to launch myself into the debate about paleo-vegan-vegitarian eating. I tried the vegetarian thing for six months, and it turned out it wasn't for me. 

However, I think one thing we can ALL agree on is that our culture is one of mass food consumption. It's really pretty gross how much we consume. I'm not here to judge anyone else's eating habits, but I am going to try to change mine. By change I mean that I'm going to try and eat less preservatives, get rid of fast food generally (but not chipotle - I just can't), and try and eat as many fresh veggies and fruits as I can get my hands on. 

Things I will not be giving up? Cheese, whole grains, healthy fats (oils, avocados, etc), wine, beer, and the every-once-in-a-while medium rare steak. 

This recipe is a good example of my idea of healthy eating. Fresh delicious tomatoes, cheese, lots of yummy basil, olive oil, and whole grain garlic crust. 










You can find the recipe and instructions here. The only changes I made: I used a whole grain crust and added garlic and herbs to the dough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment